Bould: Player development is my only interest

Steve Bould says he’s enjoying his new role in charge of Arsenal’s under-23s having returned to an Academy role after seven years with the first team.

Bould, who has effectively swapped jobs with Freddie Ljungberg, was in the dugout on Saturday as an Arsenal side made up of youngsters drew 3-3 with Boreham Wood.

The 56-year-old said he was pleased with some of his side’s football but made clear they have a lot of learning to do in the season ahead.

“I’m really enjoying being back out on the grass and coaching, so I’m really happy,” Bould told Arsenal.com.

“The first half was difficult for us physically and losing a goal so early on in the way we did was frustrating, but I half expected it. That’s the experience these kids don’t get very often so it’s a massive learning curve for them and I was delighted with the way we played in the second half. Our work on the ball was superb so I’m delighted.

“Some of the lads are only 17 and they’re really good players. We’ve got some good players coming through and there’s an awful long way to go, but that’s the joy of the job I’ve got. I really enjoy working with them so I’m looking forward to helping some good players come through.”

He added: “Most of these lads have rarely encountered adults on the pitch so it’s a completely different outlook for them in terms of any game that they’ve played. I think the boys will learn something from this.”

Bould also spoke in general terms about his ambitions for the season, pinpointing a focus on player development.

“The only interest I have is development and I mean that,” he said. “That’s not necessarily winning games, it’s about players learning the next step, the next level and improving themselves tactically, technically, mentally and physically.

“The question after that is whether they can go and grab themselves a career – and hopefully we can have one or two come through our system and play for us. But if we don’t, we try to produce well-mannered and respectful men who can go and get a good career in football.”

Boydy
Boydy

“But if we don’t, we try to produce well-mannered and respectful men who can go and get a good career in football.”

Class act that Steve Bould fella. Glad to see there’s still some of the Arsenal Way about things.

Chibs
Chibs
Reply to  Boydy

Everything at Arsenal is just how it was with Arsene. How it’s always been. The only difference from Unai is Unai has a larger scope of understanding human nature and development than Arsene. Unai has a street edge, Arsene seemed to think all you needed was talent and no confrontation. Unai will avoid it but will go to fists with you if it comes to it. Support Unai

Reply to  Chibs

It’s really not. So much has changed at the club over the last 5-10 years, especially at boardroom level. I think arsene had remarkable understanding of human nature and the jury is still well and truly out on Emery. I hope he comes good though.

Chibs
Chibs

Apart from the corporate mgt which I’m also a fan of (Not referring to Kroenke) , I was talking about the player end of operations and the differences between Unai and Arsene . Arsene decided to have too much control, that doesn’t work in the streets which is really a very good example of Corporate Organization; one man can’t do everything, you need structure , but Arsene decided to do it all . He knew human nature but there are levels to every knowledge, and for smart people they have to be in gut-wrenching situations to add an extra layer.… Read more »

Chibs
Chibs
Reply to  Chibs

Another person with that street edge in the world is Mino Raiola, JayZ and a few others

Reply to  Chibs

I think Mike Skinner knew the streets too… perhaps he should be added to your little list?

A P
A P
Reply to  Chibs

@Chibs, get your head out of Emery’s arse.

Red Arrow
Red Arrow

Can’t remember the last time I saw Bould smiling. Good to see.

Rich
Rich

As it stands…. I think Willock and Nelson look like the most likely candidates to get involved next season?

Smith-Rowe + Nketiah look like they could do with going out and getting 40+ games somewhere.

We’ll need more than 1 or 2 of these lads making a breakthrough, particularly with our budget, and a transfer market that is completely mental.

Duno
Duno

A rare picture of a Bould smile. I think it was intentional by Arseblog. Nice!
Also, class statement.

Faisal Narrage aka Mr. Project Youth 2.0
Faisal Narrage aka Mr. Project Youth 2.0

So if we sell Mustafi, and with Bould back at the academy, who will irate fans blame in the future for all of our defensive woes?

GoonerDane
GoonerDane

Well, there will still be Kolasinac and Xhaka to blame for a lack of defensive awareness. That’s a pretty common one, too.

Faisal Narrage aka Mr. Project Youth 2.0
Reply to  GoonerDane

Oh yes indeed.
I wonder if youth misses a chance, will fans blame Freddie as they’ve somehow decided he’s our “attacking coach”? Because you know, that’s how coaching works. Apparently.

goonero
goonero

Well you listen here buddy, I don’t need actual information to base my opinions on, that’s not how the internet works.

goonero
goonero
Reply to  GoonerDane

You trying to say either of them aren’t regularly defensive liabilities?

Faisal Narrage aka Mr. Project Youth 2.0
Reply to  goonero

Mustafi? Sure (though we were conceding when he wasn’t playing). Bould? Definitely not.

goonero
goonero

I was replying to GoonerDane who said Kolasinac and Xhaka who I think are quite regularly culpable for a lot of the stupid goals we concede.

Obviously sTevE bOuLd Is ThE wOrSt DeFeNsIvE cOaCh EvEr #BALDOUT

GoonerDane
GoonerDane
Reply to  goonero

@goonero
Yeah, they are. But sometimes the collective fails as a whole and yet some players are still singled out. Sometimes we just aren’t great at defending as a team, other times it’s individual errors. But if either Mustafi, Xhaka or Kola is on the pitch when it happens, they will always be first in line for criticism from some fans, regardless of the situation.

Rich
Rich

Only 18 months ago the same old lines were being thrown at Jurgen Klopp, “ Can’t organise a defence” “ tactically weak”…. Managers need time to mould their squads, Emery’s inherited a mess. I fear that Emery will be the fall guy this season, but whoever our manager is? will face the same unbalanced squad, and the task of trying to catch up with clubs, who are in a much better place, than we are right now. Those who say Emery isn’t top class, haven’t bothered to read his C.V I think Emery is the right guy, but will need… Read more »

Southpaw74

Why’s he still at arsenal??, he was never the best arsenal defender, a yes man to wenger, couldn’t sort out our defence or wasn’t aloud to, Adams should of been our defensive coach, but wenger didn’t like him for speaking the truth about how bad our defence is,also he would of kicked the shit out of those that got it wrong when they got off the pitch which is what is lacking now days in our team, don’t get me wrong the players are accountable for them selves but if you got lower teams with a better goals conceded most… Read more »

George
George
Reply to  Southpaw74

How’s the hangover?

Onenil
Onenil
Reply to  Southpaw74

Tony Adams was one of the greatest defenders ever. That doesnt make him a great manager (check his record) or mean he has the skills to fix our defense. Doing and teaching are different things.
Kicking the shit, as you put it, out of defenders who make mistakes isn’t great man management either, even if we all want to do it at times.

Reply to  Onenil

And that’s why we’re playing like we are, because there’s no one during game time when it ain’t going right to shout and get team together,, John Terry was the last of the great English defenders

Reply to  Southpaw74

“He was never the best defender”????
When did you start watching the arsenal ffs? What a ridiculous statement…. he was part if the best back 5 we’ve ever had! I guess the truth is irrelevant for some though.

Southpaw74

Well I’m 45 so about 35years ago , Seaman winterburn, Adams, keown,Dixon, was famous back five, also didn’t that back five make the England squad?

Reply to  Southpaw74

No! It was spunky, Adams, bould, dixon and nutty that frequented their back pages but whatever suits your agenda.

Southpaw74

Must be before my time then,, but no agenda just didn’t rate bould that’s all, and if he did have an input in improving our defence it didn’t work

Reply to  Southpaw74

He wasn’t our defensive coach! But bould and Adams were probably our best cb pairing of all time. Don’t you rember all their goals and the famous offside trap?

goonero
goonero
Reply to  Southpaw74

ExAcTlY mAn, PrEaCh tHe TrUtH. He Is Also COMPLETELY BALD!! #BALDOUT

Reply to  goonero

FeElS gOoD mAn

Cygans Parting
Cygans Parting

Let’s get one thing straight, Steve bold was a fantastic defender for our great football club.

Reply to  Cygans Parting

Not for me, winterburn, Adams, keown, Dixon,

Reply to  Southpaw74

Then, Lauren , Adams, keown , Cole

Reply to  Southpaw74

The back four that won us the prem,, and thumbs down??? Must be youngsters before their time

A P
A P
Reply to  Southpaw74

@Southpaw74, good thing your opinion counts for nothing.

Reply to  A P

Your probably not old enough to remember that back four, t..t

Reply to  A P

Well its an opinion that won the prem with that back four?? Funny how Sol was last of the defenders of that era and we aint won the prem since? Rest my case,

Reply to  Southpaw74

Swap keown (great cb btw) for could and you have the back 4 that was regularly written about in the Italian media, during the 90s, for being so tight and effective. 1 nil to the arsenal and all That.
I guess Emery is a better manager than Wenger and Graham too though….. ?

DB10s Air Miles

I meant for *Bould, obviously.

Dave Cee
Dave Cee
Reply to  Cygans Parting

Yes, he absolutely was. Very underrated by some on here it would seem. Hard as nails

Cygans Parting