Report: Arsenal preparing Everton deal?

everton soares

According to Marca, Arsenal are ramping up their efforts to land Brazilian winger, Everton Soares, for about €40 million.

Reports have claimed that Arsenal sent a medical team to Brazil to conduct preliminary examinations while the player himself has added fuel to the fire by sharing videos on social media of him taking English classes. He’s also spoken publicly about having an offer from a club.

Everton, 23, has been on the books at Gremio since 2012 and joined the Brazil national team set-up in 2018. He scored three goals for his country as they won the Copa America on home turf earlier this month.

Given the links with Ivan Perisic, Yannick Carrasco, Malcom, Wilfriend Zaha and alike, it’s pretty obvious that Unai Emery is eager to recruit a wide-attacker at some point.

Judging by the fact we actually bid for Zaha you’d imagine the Ivorian tops our wanted list, however, given our budget restrictions it’s highly unlikely we’ll ever get close to matching Crystal Palace’s valuation. With that in mind, it makes sense for us to be making more cost-efficient enquiries elsewhere.

Edu’s connections have likely opened the door to a conversation with Everton but we wouldn’t get too excited just yet. We reckon there will be a few more twists and turns on the transfer front before the transfer window closes in three weeks time.

jbrusty
jbrusty

The Tierney, Saliba and Ceballos reported deals have been dragging on for ages now. It just invites counter offers like the spuds did for Saliba

ricky rick
ricky rick
Reply to  jbrusty

I think it’s called negotiations. Trying to wring out maximum utility from a limited budget.

jbrusty
jbrusty
Reply to  ricky rick

You are probably spot on. My issue with that approach is that the longer it goes on the selling club can get frustrated. Plus, are we not better getting the deals done and integrating the players before sooner rather than when the season is literally just about to start?

Spanish Gooner
Spanish Gooner
Reply to  jbrusty

Tbf with Saliba (loaning back for a year) and Tierney (will miss first couple of games through injury) it doesn’t matter about getting them over the line quickly

Philip Wood
Philip Wood
Reply to  jbrusty

And that approach works on quite a dated basis that the lower you go in at the cheaper deal you get done. In most cases going in too low ruins your chances of getting the best deal as it makes the other side even more insistent on getting good value…

wojerwabbit
wojerwabbit
Reply to  jbrusty

It’s the price we pay for self-sustainability.

Trossinho
Trossinho
Reply to  jbrusty

No the club chose not to sign exactly who they wanted on the first week of the window. Or maybe, these negotiations that us as fans have no idea or experience with, take time. These are multi million £ deals that require huge amounts of legal work and assessment, it not as simple as putting a bid in on FM and changing your wage budget to accommodate.

Benefit of the doubt until the window is over. The club is trying, let’s all calm down

Reply to  ricky rick

Yep. That’s it in a globual.

Lee
Lee
Reply to  jbrusty

Some transfer need to be done quickly others you may as well negotiate hard and long…..
Tierney – injured till mid August will miss start of the season,
Saliba going back on loan
Ceballos still on holiday after the youth tournament

Zaha/Everton in the same boat

Not sure i believe the £40M budget but its also clear we have wasted a small fortune on players like Mustafi, Perez et al combined with the wages i think we may have paid of the stadium debt but now we are paying the Ivan/Wenger debt.

Reply to  jbrusty

What makes you think we have a lot of pennies to pinch in the first place? Read the report on the club’s finances by The Arsenal Supporter’s Club on their website. The financial situation is not good. Emary can increase his relatively small transfer fund through player sales, but nobody wants to buy the players we want to sell – and the players we want to sell don’t want to leave because their wages are too good! The Catch 22 of transfers. The truth is that we haven’t been able to offer “straightforward” deals for any of the players you… Read more »

Reply to  Goonereality

*Emery

jbrusty
jbrusty
Reply to  Goonereality

I don’t think anyone is under any illusions that we have loads to spend. However, the Saliba deal seems like it was accepted over a week ago, and yet still it hasn’t been completed. Spurs tried nipping in when the manager and players were heading to the US. This deal is essentially a very small fee up front, doesn’t eat into this summer’s ‘war chest’, and gets paid off next season onwards The Ceballos loan is a few million Euro’s up front, and paying his wages – that shouldn’t take long to tie up Tierney is the only one that… Read more »

Neil
Neil
Reply to  jbrusty

Saliba agreed to join Arsenal, by the way

SciGunnee
SciGunnee
Reply to  Neil

So did Higuain…..

SciGunner
SciGunner
Reply to  Neil

So did Higuain ?

Julyer
Julyer
Reply to  jbrusty

I don’t know about any of Arsenal’s other deal, but with Ceballos, the deal is not as close or simple as they made it out to be. Zidane wants him but can’t guarantee him game time, Madrid have no cover whatsoever in his position ATM except for him. He definitely wants to play more but, unless Madrid can get someone in, or think they can make Isco (who is very much on the exit list) tick again; there’s no deal. Guy is rated highly at the Bernabeu

Reply to  jbrusty

Well, you wrote: “Why are all our transfers so drawn out this summer? Is it penny pinching on our behalf?” – so you do, apparently.

Tungor_Adams
Tungor_Adams
Reply to  Goonereality

And then we have the catch 22 on steroids in our our German creative genius, ever happy to stay and carry with pride the negotiation champion crown, don’t see anyone ever beating him to performance / wage ratio

Canuck Gunner
Canuck Gunner
Reply to  Tungor_Adams

Alexis wins that easily

Drogheda Gunner
Drogheda Gunner
Reply to  Goonereality

But why do we not have much money to spend? They just got the Adidas deal. How do West ham, Everton, wolves and Leicester seem to be able to spend more? I just don’t get it.

Savage
Savage
Reply to  jbrusty

Is it penny-pinching? Yes.

Reply to  Savage

No. See The Arsenal Supporter’s Trust report. We don’t have many pennies to pinch.

Remigardesnipples
Remigardesnipples
Reply to  Goonereality

What is your understanding of the phrase penny pinching?

Rich
Rich

My understanding of penny pinching is someone who has lots of money but who either refuses to spend it, or buys things on the cheap.

Robbo
Robbo

*Every Summer,*

Leno me, I’ll be your friend

Looks like his toupee shrank in the wash but that’s irrelevant, would be a great signing and half the price of Zaha. Maybe I sound impatient but really think it’s about time some of these transfers are finalised, I just can’t quite fully get carried away until we’ve got something concrete. ??

Archer
Archer

I believe that’s what outsmarting the market means.

Reply to  Archer

Letting your toupee shrink in the wash is outsmarting the market? Wow, I know nothing about transfer markets!

Leno me, I’ll be your friend

I accidentally tumble dried a merkin once, went a bit ‘Leo Sayer’. Could’ve fully covered a Dick Law. With a disguise like that, we could outsmart anything…!

Rob67
Rob67

“Looks like his toupee shrank in the wash ” – maybe Stan can lend him one of his, if he signs ?

Reply to  Rob67

Haha Kroenke really does look like he wears a hairpiece! I’m not even convinced by his upper lip fringe that I assume is an homage to real moustaches.

Leno me, I’ll be your friend

Bit childish of a certain someone spamming me a bunch of downvotes in the last half hour. I know who it is, and it’s a bit sad a grudge has been held after what I thought was an amicable discussion the other day but hey ho, whatever floats your boat.
✌?

Goontang
Goontang

You can only downvote once…

Reply to  Goontang

You can but there’s ways round it by switching profile/altering your ip, it’s a common issue on a lot of message boards and comments sections. There’s a couple of users on here that do it to give themselves (and their profiles) more upvotes, and I have ‘upset’ them in the past by simply offering them some counter-points. It’s no biggy, I know that 99% of the commenters on this site are mature, decent folk. A big clue is when almost all your downvotes occur in a very short period. For instance for the first 4-5hours of this article being up… Read more »

Hitesh
Hitesh

Looks like a player that will excite. Let’s hope he is great and can cut it in the premier league. Fingers crossed.

Dan
Dan

I reckon this one is a done deal, keeping my positive hat on til the window shuts ?

Reality check
Reality check
Reply to  Dan

If it is a done deal then Iwobi needs to step up because they both play in the same position.

Pooner
Pooner

This chap’s got a touch of the Gervinhos in the forehead department.

Arsenalista
Arsenalista
Reply to  Pooner

Toupee or not toupee, that is question. Hopefully we get this done, I hear this guy is the real deal. Plus he looks like the best player in the history of the world on YouTube.

Lerpy
Lerpy
Reply to  Pooner

As long as he doesn’t have Gervinhos touch.

Jarghs
Jarghs
Reply to  Pooner

You mean fivehead

GoonerMonkey
GoonerMonkey

I’m still confused about all these players we’re close to signing, but we apparently cannot afford. I’ve seen that Saliba has been ‘confirmed’ in a few media outlets. That’s good, but doesn’t solve this season’s defensive issues. Getting Everton in is quite exciting, Ceballos on loan, Tierney… Zaha… I’d love them all to come and put on our fancy new kit. But where’s the money coming from? Maybe Kroenke has silently put his hand in his pockets?

Will
Will
Reply to  GoonerMonkey

Signings will not be all paid up front; installments, add-one, etc…

Will
Will
Reply to  Will

Add-ons *

Chamachkyungpark
Chamachkyungpark

How much fibre this week Andrew?

Dan nichols
Dan nichols

Is buying a player called Everton actual proof that we only want to finish 7th every year.

Savage
Savage
Reply to  Dan nichols

Imagine if Everton bought him? It would almost be like having a manager called Arsene at Arsenal… oh wait.

Richie
Reply to  Savage

Stephen Ireland playing for…. Ireland.

Goontang
Goontang
Reply to  Richie

Mancini coaching Man City

tidwell
tidwell
Reply to  Goontang

Wolfgang Wolf coaching Wolfsburg

SB Still
SB Still

Zaha is pushing for an exit, he probably knows Arsenal has are pursuing alternatives – maybe Everton?

Everton will cost less than Zaha but arguably maybe better than Zaha.

Let’s see.

Kingsley
Kingsley
Reply to  SB Still

I hope you’re right, but I can’t think of one Brazilian attacking player who has instantly adapted to the Prem apart from Juninho and that was when the standard was a lot lower.

Mc1892
Mc1892
Reply to  Kingsley

Gabriel Jesus isn’t doing too badly!

My Cousin Vinai
Reply to  Kingsley

Gabriel Jesus?
Richarlison?

The mean, they’re all quite recent even.

Mateus
Mateus
Reply to  Kingsley

Coutinho?

ClockEndRider
ClockEndRider
Reply to  Kingsley

Mirandinha. A long time ago admittedly

George
George
Reply to  Kingsley

To be fair, the best ones have never really tended to come to England.

Freddie's Kids
Freddie's Kids
Reply to  Kingsley

Firminho?

SheffieldGooner
SheffieldGooner
Reply to  SB Still

I read that Palace are in for Jenkinson. There are times in life when you have to stick to your principles. I’d tell them to fuck right off.

Anonymarse
Anonymarse

80m

Cultured determination
Cultured determination

Tell them 40m + zaha for jenks

Lobster
Lobster
Reply to  SB Still

Those cunts on the west side of the capital had a bunch of Brazilians who made a sport of tearing us a new one not so long ago.

James
James
Reply to  Lobster

Firminhio

Bobbyt
Bobbyt

I bet he can score some headers with that fivehead. Everton on an Arsenal shirt, that will be random

Ourchildrensworld

It will be great to get this over the line. But whether we sign Everton or splash the cash on Zaha, I just want us to get it right. It’s easy to want finalised transfers NOW but our ‘rivals’ are in the same spot. Manure and Sp*rs are desperately trying to sell deadwood and make good value for money purchases. Everton and West Ham are slightly inflating the market because they need anyone with more quality. We need to ensure we don’t make the same mistakes as other years – transfers for the sake of it. Patience (Saliba/Tierney) is better… Read more »

ChrisJ
ChrisJ

I seem to recall that Kolasnic was on free, so the only mistake we made was with wages (which I do not believe are that high). Regarding Mustafi, I would like to know the real story behind that transfer.

GMR
GMR

I don’t believe it myself. Gremio want around 40 million but they only own 50% of his rights so Arsenal would have to stump up another 40 million on top to the other 3 parties that have an interest. It’s never going to happen.

Mpls
Mpls
Reply to  GMR

I’m not so sure that’s exactly how it works.

Mateus
Mateus
Reply to  GMR

That’s definitely not how it works lol. If Gremio does that, they’re way out of their mind.

Vivooty
Vivooty

Ziyech is better than Everton.Its better to buy Ziyech for few more million dollars….

bendtnerschristmastree
bendtnerschristmastree
Reply to  Vivooty

Ziyech is more of a #8, not a winger

loose_cannon
loose_cannon

We could do with an 8…

Goonereality

This is a re-hash of fairly old news, isn’t it? There were reports some days ago about Arsenal’s interest, followed by others saying – a tad prematurely as it turned out – that the deal was all but done. My understanding is that Arsenal made an offer but the delay was (is?) because of the balance between what’s paid up front, and what’s paid in add-ons later, to his club. The almost automatic reaction by some Gooners as if potential moves are actually done and dusted often looks like the triumph of expectation over reality. It ain’t over until the… Read more »

Alex
Alex

I don’t get it: we read ad nauseam articles about our fantastic young guys, who are mainly attacking players, and Lundberg and integrating them and blablabla… and all the club is linked to… attacking players?!

GoonerMonkey
GoonerMonkey
Reply to  Alex

Apart from Tierney and Saliba

Merlin's Panini
Merlin's Panini
Reply to  Alex

um, what about Saliba, Tierney, Kannemann, Zagadou…

Kwame Ampadu Down
Kwame Ampadu Down
Reply to  Alex

It’s not remotely complicated. We desperately need a wide player. (at least one) The young players can/will integrate more but we need someone who can be a starter straight away.

Mr. Johansson
Reply to  Alex

Lundberg should immediately stop integrating the young guys and let Ljungberg do his job.

Merlin's Panini
Merlin's Panini

I’m all for this. He had better sort out that dodgy barnet though. Nearly as bad a Chamakh.

Hantal
Hantal

Every time I see a headline like that I envision us buying everton the club, it’s one way of preventing a rival overtaking us

SB Still
SB Still
Reply to  Hantal

In the same way can we look for a Liverpool too. Everton on the left wing and Liverpool on the right or in defence!

catbiscuits
catbiscuits

A guy with that haircut cannot have good decision-making skills. Buyer beware…

Jim
Jim
Reply to  catbiscuits

The real Ronaldo had a very questionable do and he did alright for himself…

The Spoon
The Spoon

Won’t be all feel silly when we start the season with Zaha and Everton flanking laca and auba against Newcastle ?

Mpls
Mpls
Reply to  The Spoon

Then we’d better add 5-6 top quality defenders to line up behind them..

gunnerpete
gunnerpete

I think the Zaha deal was only going to work for us if we could unload players on Palace to get the net price down to our budget (to buy a 80m player for 40m).

This Everton deal seems much more like the fee we could spend here and definitely appears to be likelier to succeed.

Tony Adams Nose
Tony Adams Nose
Reply to  gunnerpete

I hear that Palace want Jenks so a deal for Zaha might be being worked out that way. However, don’t believe anything until you see the player on the home page of Arsenal.com with the shirt on. Journo click bait and agent rumoring is rife!

Mike1
Mike1

Palace reportedly value Jenks at £5m.
I hope the response to this is very pithy with much finger-pointing or he’s used as a counterweight to buy Zaha.

The Spoon
The Spoon

Should stick a cheeky 40m bid for Neymar, obviously PSG don’t want to sell to Barca!

Reply to  The Spoon

Given the state of the finances, it’s more likely we’d put in a bid of £1, and forget the £40 million this time.

laudgunner
laudgunner

Ironically, we seem to have captured Everton, and Everton is reportedly interested in Zaha. WIERD.

Anonymarse
Anonymarse
Reply to  laudgunner

Ah but who is Zaha interested in

Mentalist
Mentalist
Reply to  Anonymarse

Arsenal!?

Nik
Nik

Going by his YouTube compilation, he looks way better at 40 mil than Zaha at 80. Plus he’s much younger.

My Cousin Vinai

Said it before and I’ll say it again; if the transfer is stressing you out, you’re putting too much weight into transfers.

Look towards the development of our youth and suddenly the window becomes more fun, along with the season.

Goonereality

Well, we could certainly do with a bit of fun in an otherwise frustrating Summer window. We really need to bring in players with some experience and introduce our good, young, players when they’re ready. Getting the former is probably less certain than the latter at the moment though.

Mpls
Mpls

Willock, John Jules, Eddie, Saka and Burton all had pretty good showings against Bayern – I’m really looking forward to seeing more of them.

Reply to  Mpls

I think we looked good against Bayern. Young players certainly gave a good account as you said. Of them, Nketiah looks ready to play a role for us. He has an innate instinct for where the goal is. Nelson I’d like to see on the wings even with Iwobi and new winger. Plenty of pace and guile. Willock is certainly now a way better option then keeping Elneny from off the bench. And it means if we get Cebellos, we can use the Spaniard higher up. Burton I think we should put out on a strong loan along with Mavropanos… Read more »

Deo
Deo

Hat tip to that username.

Twatsloch
Twatsloch

A real player who will actually play? Well I never…fame at last!

The only sp*rs i like is san antonio
The only sp*rs i like is san antonio

We try to get a derivative of “Suarez” eh? Hope he is as good or better than Luis than Denis

The player we bring in on loan maybe Cebellos

Which is fine because we have an improved Granit, Torreira second season and GUendouzi who will also improve to add plus Willock is looking great utility for us beyond a limited Elneny who frankly needs to be sold.

The only sp*rs i like is san antonio
The only sp*rs i like is san antonio
Reply to  Santori

You really like to cultivate dislikes, aren’t you?

A P
A P

What are the odds HH is behind this?

Rob67
Rob67

Would be a much better option than Zaha, who is way too dear for us and is also too prone to blowing hot and cold.

But we’ll see if we land him ?

Reply to  Rob67

There are A LOT of other options

Ziyech rumoured at a mere 22m offered to us by Overmars.

Fekir’s price may have come down with the temperemental Aulas wanting to sell to spite Liverpool.

Thauvin at Marseille still a very good player.

Neres at Ajax also a good young player within reach.

Carrasco a dark horse prob a last option but maybe a bit difficult now.

All these players highly technical (certainly way better than the limited Scottish dwarf Fraser) and certainly cheaper than the over priced Zaha.

Ya gooner
Ya gooner

Great news, gwarn Edu!

Reply to  Ya gooner

What news? The article says: “Edu’s connections have likely opened the door to a conversation with Everton but we wouldn’t get too excited just yet”. The key phrases are there if you look.

Kostas
Kostas

Were is the poo?

George
George
Reply to  Kostas

And the beef.

Dat guy
Dat guy

Don’t rate him at all. Let the youth play man!

Richie
Reply to  Dat guy

Then you didn’t watch the Copa America; he was one of the outstanding performers.

As mentioned 30-35m is going price for a creative winger in market. Some maybe priced slightly higher at 40m others maybe you can knock off to 25m at end of window but we have to also weigh against opportunity cost (in case someone grabs the player we prefer) There’s plenty of choice in market then to be hung up with a hard on for Zaha. And price will come down with apex predators in market committing to Joao Felix (Athletico), Hazard (RM), Greizzman (Barca) spending substantial amounts. Aside from Everton, Ziyech was rumoured to be offered to us for a… Read more »

I’ve mentioned many times as well too many people do not understand transfer and markets in general. It is normal for our efforts to conclude usually toward very end of window. Too many people have no clue on how markets work and conclude (bc they are prey to the media) that Wenger panic bought players. Mostly we have to remember, we are not the top predator in market. In fact there are now frankly 10 clubs ahead of us either in spending power (willingness to spend) and allure. RM, Barca, Athletico, Juve, Bayern, PSG, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United (i’ll stop… Read more »

Tungor_Adams
Tungor_Adams

Beggars are no choosers but still, 80 mil for zaha is to much, even Middlesbrough would hesitate

TCGNR
TCGNR

Meanwhile, somebody’s gonna snipe Tierney out from under us because of our crummy offers; and he’s more important right than a winger. Maddening how we can’t get that one done.

George
George
Reply to  TCGNR

Yeah, how insulting we offered what they asked.

Robbo
Robbo

Preparing a bid? Mental!!! Baffling!!!! Our transfer bids..or preparing of transfer bids crack me up, fucking laughing stock!

Doghouse
Doghouse

With the downside of losing kosh our so called captain I can see some blue sky on the horizon regarding transfers and the shape of our squad this season, tierney, cebellos, everton & martinelli with saliba coming next season isnt a bad bit of business we also have bellerin and holding back soon plus gendousi completing his 1st year in team and with nekita and willock adding to get in the side we now have powerful young additions to our experianced members of our 1st 11 we are looking on paper dynamic, let’s hope the powers that be get the… Read more »

Confused
Confused

On a separate front, the Arsenal old boy Bennacer was awarded Best Player of the African Cup of Nations…he’s off to AC Milan but I think he could have been Ramsey’s replacement.

BD4444
BD4444

according to some reports this deal was almost done
but the fact that there was no mention of a possible £40M purchase on sky sports at all suggests its absolute rubbish to me. unfortunately tho as l would rather take a chance on him than buy zaha!!