Tierney not included in Scotland squad

Scotland have taken the decision not to select Kieran Tierney for their upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers with Cyprus and Kazakhstan.

Boss Steve Clarke had tried to get the left-back involved in October’s Interlull but the player, on advice of the Arsenal medical team, turned down the opportunity as he focused on getting back to full fitness.

Tierney has since made his long-awaited Premier League bow, featuring from the off against Crystal Palace and Wolves. He completed 75 minutes and 87 minutes respectively. The Scot also notched 90 minutes against Vitoria in the Europa League and came on for the last 7 minutes of the Carabao Cup defeat to Liverpool.

Scotland have lost their last four Euro 2020 qualifiers and currently sit in third place in Group I behind Russia and Cyprus. They could still qualify for a first major tournament since 1998 via the play-offs, which begin in March, having earned the chance to progress by winning their Nations League group last year. Yeah…it’s complicated.

Anyway, we can only assume that Clarke wanted Tierney but that we’re continuing to be cautious with him. Tierney, who has 12 caps to his name, hasn’t actually played for Scotland since they faced Israel over a year ago.

Update

Via the Daily Record, here’s Steve Clarke on the situation: “Kieran’s got an ongoing issue that Arsenal are keen to address in the next international break and Arsenal asked us not to select him. It’s a little bit frustrating and it’s obviously frustrating for Kieran as well.”

Twatsloch
Twatsloch

Good!

Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

Anyone else checking in on Arseblog News every hour in the hope that there’s an ‘Emery Sacked’ headline?

PV4
PV4
Reply to  Danger Mouse

You found me out.

Atom
Atom
Reply to  Danger Mouse

Seems like he’s here until leceister at minimum unfortunately

db10s
Reply to  Atom

This leceister rumours.. are they from any significant source? Or just pure speculation?

Atom
Atom
Reply to  db10s

I don’t know if there are rumors so much as were quickly reaching a point where top 4 is going to start to become a real challenge with a loss to leceister. If they wait until Christmas to sack emery it likely won’t matter at that point

David C
David C
Reply to  Danger Mouse

You have to check the Ornacle’s twitter feed as well 🙂

Glenn Gomes
Glenn Gomes
Reply to  Danger Mouse

Hahahaha…. Me too

Pepeisthere
Pepeisthere
Reply to  Danger Mouse

As bad as this might sound, I actually see Emery staying till the end of his contract. The board doesn’t seem to have the “cojones” to do the needful

Bang Tidy
Bang Tidy

Everytime I see Arseblog on my Facebook feed I’m hoping to read that he’s got the TicTak!

Red-Wing
Red-Wing

Hey guys, a bit off topic, but it’s kinda urgent.

Is there any way to still get a ticket for tomorrow’s match in our away sector?

I’m currently in Portugal and it looks like I could make a trip to the match if I can get a (away supporters) ticket. Never seen our boys live before, so it’d mean a lot of anyone could help.

Fablad
Fablad
Reply to  Red-Wing

Hi mate,

I usually grab tickets off twitter, give it a go:

Take a look at these search results: https://twitter.com/search?q=Vitoria%20vs%20arsenal%20tickets&s=09

Dave
Dave
Reply to  Red-Wing

Try twitter

Prince Gunneralaysia
Prince Gunneralaysia

I’m Tierney my head, up and down. I’m Tierney, Tierney, Tierney, Tierney, Tierney around and all that I can see just a yellow lemon tree.

Really wish to hear this chant at the Emirates

Tierney did not exactly make us anymore water tight last match just saying.

He tracked Traore well enough but was less aware of the run that led to the goal (even if primarily it was cebellos at fault)

I would texture my enthusiasm.

He is a better all rounder than Kolasinac but it would be a bit of a stretch to say he is that much better.

Although I have to add that we have not as a team been utilising the talents of our fullbacks enough.

Prince Gunneralaysia
Prince Gunneralaysia

So all downvotes yeah.. Ok then..

EddieMcGoldrick
EddieMcGoldrick

Most people probably don’t know the song mate! I do but still it doesn’t really make sense tbh I’m afraid…

There’s no perfect solution for us. Get rid of Wenger, don’t mind 2 or 3 seasons out of CL and let a new gaffer get it right they said. be careful for what you wish for. A new gaffer now may enjoy a temporary bump but merely kick the can down the road. meanwhile, Unai is out of contract end of season anyway so not sure why anyone in their sane mind would want to make things even more difficult now. Get rid of Mustafi and we are still leaking goals. BC elephant in the room is we neglected to… Read more »

Reply to  Santori

I think in midfield if we are to keep width with 3 up top, if we play Granit, it should be Cebellos and Guendouzi just ahead. If we play Ozil it may be better Torreira-Guendouzi. Difficult at the moment because none of the selections carry enough security which is why I feel Emery tried the diamond but at expense of Pepe, to add the extra body in midfield for numbers particularly as teams tend to line 5 across against us in midfield. Its a tricky thing to get right. If Laca and Auba can find good partnership (supplied by Ozil… Read more »

Ealing
Ealing

I don’t think we will get rid of UE before the interlull