Lacazette plays down exit talk & calls on Auba to stay

Alex Lacazette says he is unaware of a report claiming Arsenal will sanction his sale this summer if the club don’t secure qualification to the Champions League.

The Frenchman, last year’s player of the year, has struggled for form in recent months with strike partner Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang picking up the slack on the goalscoring front.

Ahead of Thursday’s Europa League second-leg clash with Olympiacos, Lacazette was quick to make clear he’s happy at Arsenal and also keen to see close pal Aubameyang, who is out of contract in July 2021, commit his long-term to the club.

“I didn’t know about this [report],” he said when asked about the overnight speculation. “I don’t know [where it came from].

“I have a contract with the club so there’s no point for me to leave if everyone is happy with me in the club.”

Asked about Aubameyang’s influence, he said: “He’s really important, he’s one of the best, maybe the best for Arsenal this season. Obviously, I hope he’s going to stay longer for the club.”

Known for having a close relationship with Aubameyang both on and off the pitch, it is perhaps unsurprising that Laca was keen to play up the importance of the club’s captain at a time when contract renewal talks are set to restart.

“I think people should talk more about Auba and what he’s doing in the game,” said the 28-year-old.

“He’s more than a goalscorer, he’s working a lot for the team defensively, making space for the other strikers, Eddie or me, I just think if we start to win trophies we’re going to talk more about what he’s doing.”

HKGoon
HKGoon

I hope he stays on! He’s going through a bit of a rough patch in terms of form, but hopefully he can kick on from here with 2 goals in the last week and put a run of appearances / goal contributions together.

Something to appreciate about him is the immense maturity and level-headedness that he demonstrates all the time, and that is indeed a rare and much appreciated commodity in today’s times of inflated egos.

I hope he stays for a long time and continues to support the development of our next generation of young players as well!

OnlyBeingHonest
OnlyBeingHonest

Hope we keep them both, Both can be devastating on the day, in different ways

Pakgooner
Pakgooner

I still remember that impossible goal he scored against Liverpool last season.. there’s a lot of class in there

goonero
goonero

I really hope they both stay. Aubas an obvious one but I think Laca has been given too much flak and not enough appreciation for just how much work he gets through in games. Since he’s joined he’s shown an unflinching determination to improve and adapt his game to meet the teams needs. He worked on his strength and balance for his hold up play, his fitness level to get through 90 mins, and now he’s been an auxiliary midfielder come striker for most of the season. How many players would do the same and not be moaning about it… Read more »

samu
samu

That interview was a disgrace…they didnt ask one question about the game…Laca handled it well but jeez the media are morons

Winterburn Wanderers
Winterburn Wanderers

Look at Laca’s face, he looks so sad, that reporter should be ashamed of themselves.

Lula
Lula

id be stoked if we could keep these two.

ArsenesLongSufferingZipper
ArsenesLongSufferingZipper
Reply to  Lula

So would I. Would also be happy not to ever see any words containing “stoke”.

TeeCee
TeeCee

Just for you, here are two words that do not contain “stoke”.
Premier League.

Mesut O’Neill
Mesut O’Neill

The link up play between the two on the pitch is actually not that cohesive. I’m sure off the field they are good mates

We will make a case for him to stay if we can claw into the CL (particularly now with City potentially out) That means winning next row of games (even Liverpool) Lacazette will be important to retain should Auba go. Some people will as per usual wank off to Nketiah on evidence of one goal but reality is we will need to hold onto Laca for experience and his combative strength when in congested areas. Martinelli will likely be given the nod to fill if Auba leaves given he has similar propensity to effect from the left and has a… Read more »