Arsenal are preparing for an FA Cup final on Saturday, a game in which you would ordinarily expect Mesut Ozil to be part of in some way.
However, the German hasn’t been part of any match-day squad since the 2-0 win over Southampton on June 25th, and his last action was in the 1-0 win over West Ham on March 7th when he provided the assist for Alexandre Lacazette’s winner.
It’s clear that behind the scenes something is very wrong, and his absence from a team which lacks creativity is something Mikel Arteta is well aware of.
Speaking to Sky Sports last week, the Arsenal manager said, “I know what Mesut brings, you only have to check his stats and look at what he’s able to do in those tight areas without any space …,” before stopping and adding, “That’s all I can say.”
It’s an unsustainable situation for the club, tied to a player who is the highest earner but who now contributes so little, and you don’t need to be a genius to understand why Arsenal would be keen to add some finality to the Ozil era before the start of the new season.
However, according to his agent, the chances of him leaving before the end of his contract are slim.
Dr. Erkut Sogut told Turkish Instagram channel FutbolGiant, “I don’t think there will be any change with Mesut Ozil until the summer of 2021. He already has a contract. Nothing changed.
“He will stay in Arsenal.”
He went on to say there was a 90% chance that Ozil would leave Arsenal next summer, which means he thinks there’s a 10% chance Arsenal will offer him a new contract which makes him 100% nuts.
There were unconfirmed sightings of Ozil this week in Sweden, and there was no sign of him in the latest batch of training pictures, so it’s very unlikely he’ll be part of Saturday’s squad.
Quite what happens after that game, and before the new season starts, is anybody’s guess.