According to Sky News, the Premier League will impose a £20 million fine on the six English clubs involved in the attempted breakaway European Super League.
The punishment will be shared equally by Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Sp*rs who have also agreed that more stringent measures – a 30-points deduction and £20 million fine – will be imposed on any club that signs up to similar projects in the future.
The Gunners have already agreed to a similar fine – a share of €15 million – dished out by UEFA and will forego 5% of any revenue generated the next time we qualify for Europe.
Exclusive: The six English clubs which signed up to the now-abandoned European Super League project earlier this year have agreed to pay a combined sum of just over £20m as part of a settlement with the Premier League that will be announced later today.
— Mark Kleinman (@MarkKleinmanSky) June 9, 2021
In light of this season’s failings on the pitch and the fact our commercial, matchday and broadcast revenues have been hit by the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, the fine isn’t ideal. That said, we can count ourselves very lucky; this is not much more than a slap across the wrists. Individual fines of £15 million were originally mooted in some quarters.
In the aftermath of the Super League’s collapse, Josh Kroenke told supporters that KSE would cover any financial penalties contractually owed to backers as a consequence of the decision to pull out. It remains to be seen whether that same commitment extends to the fines that we’ve received.
It may well be that the fine is deducted from money generated from the sale of broadcast rights rather than Premier League CEO Richard Masters turning up at the Emirates demanding the money on the spot.
Either way, it’s unlikely to damage our plans for the transfer market.