Wright happy to advise ‘hungry’ Martinelli

gabriel_martinelli_arsenal

Ian Wright has revealed that he’s been offering advice and encouragement to Gabriel Martinelli ever since the 18-year-old contacted him privately via Instagram.

The striker, a surprise acquisition from Brazil side Ituano, has been one of Arsenal’s stand out performers this season, scoring 9 goals and making three assists in 20 appearances.

The Brazilian has made a real impression on club legend Wrighty who has been happy to take the youngster, as he did with Eddie Nketiah, under his wing.

“When you see him you can see there is a hunger and a determination about him,’ Wright told BBC Radio 5Live.

“I’ve been in contact with him with texts and things, you can see that all he wants to do is do well.

“He’s so hungry. I think it’s only Jadon Sancho as a teenager who has scored more goals than him in the top five leagues so he’s somebody that has definitely got something in him.

“We’re lucky to have him and if he carries on improving the way he is, then it’s going to be very difficult to keep hold of him.

“If they can create chances, the way he moves into the box, he’s going to score goals and that is what we need to concentrate on with Arsenal, scoring more goals and creating more chances.

“We just talk, I’ll say well done and good movement, keep getting yourself in the box, make your near post run.

“As an 18-year-old, it’s nice to just hear people saying you’re doing great and he needs to keep doing those things.

“He got in touch on Instagram and then we went from there. I get a lot of slide ins, if I’m honest. I’ve got a broad spectrum of experience that I can share.”

It’s always great to hear that advice is being passed down from generation to generation, especially when you consider Wrighty’s calibre. We shouldn’t have to remind anyone that the former England striker banged in 185 goals for the Gunners; a record only bettered by Thierry Henry.

If you’re wondering how well Martinelli is getting on with English, it sounds as though he’s coming on leaps and bounds. Bukayo Saka revealed to The Athletic (£) that the striker is more than capable of holding his own in his new tongue.

“His English is improving a lot,” Saka said. “He can hold a good conversation with me now.

“We speak a lot so I know where to find him in the box. He always tells me ‘just put it in behind the defence and I’ll be there,’ so I did it for him.

“That’s how he got his goal [on Saturday]. Gabi just wants to drive at defenders.”

Kingsley
Kingsley

I hope it’s the real Martinelli and Wrighty’s not getting catfished!!

Richie
Reply to  Kingsley

I hope it’s the real Wright and not Richard Wright.

Drewkernster
Drewkernster
Reply to  Kingsley

I think wrighty has done enough advising.. Eddie Nketiah hasn’t come good yet and I thought he was advising him. He needs to focus on one player to advise. Martinelli doesn’t look like he needs much advise Eddie on the other hand needs advise to cut out his selfish plays he seems like he’s always looking to score more for his personal glory than for the team. Hence his all raround play is not great he doesn’t sacrifice fort he team like leaving his position to run into channels to open space for another team mate. When he came on… Read more »

Thierry Bergkamp (non negotiable)
Thierry Bergkamp (non negotiable)

We’re lucky to have him and if he carries on improving the way he is, then it’s going to be very difficult to keep hold of him”.

We need to do better on the pitch and fast, so we can lose this mentality, and clubs will know that they have no chance of taking anybody from us, unless the club wants to sell.

Gutbukkit Deffrolla
Gutbukkit Deffrolla

Mate, we have years (more like decades) to go before we can laugh in the face of offers from the big European teams. We lose players to them because they have a history of success that goes back decades and players know they’ll be playing at the peak of the football mountain. Us fans can cherry=pick names as much as we like, but Arsenal never has had enough drawing power to get truly top players (except when Wenger worked his magic. Many top players had great respect for Wenger). I hope Arteta can build himself such a reputation while he’s… Read more »

Jeremy
Jeremy

Why are we so damn pre-occupied about losing players? He’s been with us for 5 minutes. He will be here as long as he is here, and we should enjoy him while he is. He will either retire with us or leave, and at which point someone else will pick up the mantle.

Dave cee
Dave cee

Very happy to hear his English is getting good. We need our foreign players to adapt to playing here

Mesut O’Neill
Mesut O’Neill
Reply to  Dave cee

Apparently people don’t want our foreign players to adapt to playing here!!

Inothernews
Inothernews

‘Just put it in behind the defence and I’ll be there’

gooner
gooner

I have vast experience as a former burglar. So I keep advising this gang of youngsters to keep using the back road. not the main street. keep using the red car and park it three blocks away from the store you intend to rob. #YoungGang #Police #OnLookers

plus always bring the loot to my house, I’ll be there. our communication is better. #RobbedStore #SameDamnPolice #EyeWitnesses

gooner
gooner
Reply to  gooner

haha. Folk didn’t get it.

Not criticising Wrighty or Saka but I question the point of giving him tips on how to beat the defence and saying it publicly. Same thing I posted last time Saka explained what the boss tells him to work on tactically in Training.

Unless Wright told him to make his runs to the far post then revealed to the whole interested world the opposite. If I am a defender I’d probably be gambling on Gabbi making a run to the near post

James
James
Reply to  gooner

I could tell you that Robben was going to cut in from the right and bend it into the top corner with his left 100% of the time, it’s another thing stopping it.

gooner
gooner
Reply to  James

True, but tell that to Coutinho. defenders in La Liga kept showing him the outside and marked that space he needs to take that shot. Without it he looked toothless in the league

Mike

I’m in love with this boy I hope he is going to be here for a long time.

Oregoon

if Wrighty wants to take credit for helping the kid become our “Aguero’, then I am all for it.

Artetas assistant
Artetas assistant
Reply to  Oregoon

Suarez

Artetas assistant
Artetas assistant
Reply to  Oregoon

Or Ronaldo

I don’t even think he needs Wrighty’s advise.

He is doing everything right at the moment.

If Pepe does not improve, would prefer to start Martinelli when Auba returns, along with Laca up top. Considering outlay for Pepe in contrast to the Brazilian, Martinelli a real plus this season.

Oscandwarf
Oscandwarf
Reply to  Santori

Can’t say I can agree that he doesn’t or won’t need it. He obviously wants it (and crikey, I’d ask Wright for advice just so I could have a chat with him!)

Personally I think we all need advice, always and in all things. We may not take it and it may not be obviously useful, but it’s there to be used if wanted or needed.

Although if he’d contacted a Mr Diawara….

Teryima Adi
Teryima Adi

This guy is the real deal.???

Giddygun