Joe Montemurro To Return To Australia for Personal Leave

Arsenal Women manager Joe Montemurro has been granted personal leave to return to his native Australia for personal reasons. He will be home for an unspecified period, during which time the team will be taken by his assistants Aaron D’Antino and Leanne Hall.

The club released a statement this afternoon confirming the news, “Arsenal Women head coach Joe Montemurro has temporarily returned to Australia due to family reasons. Assistant coaches Aaron D’Antino and Leanne Hall will be taking the management of the team while Joe is in Australia. Everyone at the club wishes Joe all the best and looks forward to his return.”

Montemurro won’t be on the bench for Sunday’s FA Cup tie against Spurs and likely not the proceeding WSL game against Bristol City,

canon fodder
canon fodder
22 days ago

That sound ominous; I hope that whatever he needs to do back home is accomplished. Safe and speeded return Joe.

OdalGooner
OdalGooner
22 days ago

Seems such a nice bloke, from what little I’ve read and heard from him. Hope everything is alright, mate! Safe travels!

Richie
22 days ago

I don’t follow women’s football at all and I don’t know anything about the manager, but I’m curious; when Emery was sacked, was Montemurro ever in consideration to take temporary charge instead of Ljungberg?

Christopher Humphrey
Christopher Humphrey
Reply to  Richie

Always amusing when an early responder to an article on an Arsenal WOMEN blog starts “I don’t follow women’s football…..” and then adds a question
pertaining to the AWFC manager “I know nothing about”…….

Goonerink
Goonerink
22 days ago

I can’t see the humor, I follow the women’s team somewhat and I would also like to know the answer to Richie’s question.

Fint
Fint
Reply to  Goonerink

Think its a great question myself.

Peter Story Teller
Peter Story Teller
Reply to  Goonerink

To be fair, Chris H, whilst I can see what you are saying and I am supportive of your sentiment, I think in this instance it is a reasonable question. It is just unfortunate that Ritchie’s post started with those familiar words indicating that he doesn’t watch our women’s team play.
Can we cut and paste your comment to cover the one from YoungFabregas below???

YoungFabregas
YoungFabregas
Reply to  Richie

Without trying to be disrespectful, the technical level of Arsenal Women’s is less than U16 Mens Arsenal

djourou's nutmeg
djourou's nutmeg
Reply to  YoungFabregas

your comment is disrespectful and frankly quite stupid in several ways so i think everyone would appreciate if next time you keep your opinion to yourself thank you

Peter Story Teller
Peter Story Teller
22 days ago

Agree with you nutmeg and YoungFabregas has obviously not watched the women play nor is the comment relevant to this thread of discussion. This is just another example of the point Chris Humphrey was trying to make. The women’s section is full of posts from so called Gunners fans who will never accept women’s football and determined to have their say even if all they can say is demeaning or derogatory towards the women’s game. Perhaps by “amusing” he meant he was feeling the sense of irony. If you don’t like women’s football that is your prerogative but do not… Read more »

Christopher Humphrey
Christopher Humphrey
22 days ago

Good luck Joe and family. Stay safe.

Armchair
Armchair
22 days ago

Didn’t Montemurro’s wife and children stay behind in Australia when he took
the Arsenal job? If so, that sort of split is tough on a relationship and family.
Don’t know it that’s the issue, and shouldn’t speculate, so just wish the coach and his family well. Here’s to a quick resolution and return.