Pablo Mari: I’ve found a club to put down roots

Pablo Mari has reiterated his desire to complete a permanent move to Arsenal saying he’s ‘found a club to put down roots’.

Having agreed on the crux of a deal in January, it’s widely expected that the Gunners will pay Brazilian side Flamengo £10 million for the Spaniard when the transfer window opens.

While the ongoing COVID-19 situation looks likely to play havoc with the club’s finances for a while, the defender speaks like he’s been reassured the deal will go through.

Pablo had only featured twice for the first team since his arrival in England, enjoying clean sheets in Arsenal’s two games prior to domestic competition being suspended. It’s fair to say his appetite has been whet.

Speaking via webcam to the Guardian’s Sid Lowe, he said: “England’s good for me: there’s a thousand things to improve, but I fit.

“I’m happy and I’d really like Arsenal to use the purchase option. With the coronavirus situation, I don’t know what’s happening, it’s difficult, but I hope I can belong here.

“My moment has arrived. The chance to sign for four years, an opportunity I think I’ve earned. It’s time.

“I like the idea of no longer going round and round. If I have to, I’ll keep going until my career ends, but I think I’ve found a club to put down roots.

“A traditional club that supports its people, people who believe in it and give everything. I’d like to be part of that, a great footballer for many years for Arsenal.”

If you’ve not had a chance, it’s well worth checking out the full interview, in which Pablo reflects on his early football career, his time at Manchester City, his amazing six months in Rio de Janeiro and his friendship with David Luiz.

Artetas Assistant
Artetas Assistant
1 month ago

As a guy 6’3” is impressive, but as a tree he’s got some more growing to do.

Mark
Mark
1 month ago

If and it’s a big IF we have a big clear out I would like to see him stay. I’m just not
sure we’ll get rid of our unwanted players.

OsloGooner
OsloGooner
1 month ago

I want him to stay. But what are we gonna do
about our center back options..
we have Mustafi, Sokratis, David Luiz, Chambers,And Pablo.

Who do we let go, and who do we keep?
I think I would like Mustafi and Sokratis go,
I mean they have done good service to the club,
but I’m not sure they are Champions League
quality.

Maybe be get in Samuel Umititi. He and Laca are best friends from there time at Lyon.

I also admire Houssem Aouar.. just look at his
goal against RB Leipzig..

Shool14
Shool14
Reply to  OsloGooner

How can you even forget Saliba and Holding? 😂 also i wouldn’t even count Chambers for now

I think we will try to sell Mustafi amd Sokratis and make Mari permanent since he won’t cost much. Should be a decent backup

OsloGooner
OsloGooner
Reply to  Shool14

Haha, they must have slipped my mind.
I still think we need some quality at
center back..

We’ll see what happens.

Public Elneny
Public Elneny
Reply to  OsloGooner

Keep: Luiz, Mari, Chambers, Saliba. 1st 3 all look up to standard to be starters in our new more disciplined system so far, imo. Saliba is a massive talent and we shouldn’t block his route to the starting xi Loan: Holding – he needs regular game time, his performances in the fragments of time he has since injury have been dreadful. Selling would be a mistake as he still has potential to be a good player for us and his transfer value is at all time low rn Sell/release: Mustafi, Sokratis. Not entirely convinced Mustafi’s revival is a long term… Read more »

Chamahkyungpark
Chamahkyungpark
Reply to  Public Elneny

I see you’re making the assumption that we sign ‘champions league quality’ I’m afraid we are firmly a Europa League team now

Flash
Flash
1 month ago

I really don’t agree with that…
Suppose we sell Elneny, AMN, 2 CB’s (out of our 7), and Mkhitaryan…
and buy for example: Thomas Party for 50M

Auba, Lacazett, Pepe
Ozil
Xhaka, Partey,
Tierney, P.Mari, Saliba, Bellerin
Leno

Plus our really promising youngsters…
I don’t think that is a Europa League squad

Rich
Rich
Reply to  Flash

I’d rather go with the inexperience of Willock or Smith-Rowe, than another season of the completely ineffective Ozil. They’ve both look to get beyond the striker, they’ve both got goals in them, and they both travel with the ball. Ozil is great in possession, and he’s a good crosser of the ball, but he offers nowhere near enough end product or cut and thrust. Our team is just too static, lacking anything resembling dynamism through the centre of the pitch, and outside Luiz, none of our centre half’s are good enough on the ball, and you can count him in… Read more »

Flash
Flash
27 days ago
Reply to  Rich

I agree, that the middle of our team is need a serious upgrade (see Party in my Lineup), and I also agree that Ozil is beyond the zenith of his career. But… I think Willock or Smith-Rowe (whatever serious talent they posess) – at the moment – are nowhere near compared to the level of the best Ozil. After all: he is not only a world champion but also was among Europe’s best 20 footballers 4 times. …and as far as “end-product” concern: Behind Auba, Lacazette and Pepe – I think what we really need is not end-product but vision… Read more »

Pat Jennings' fan club
Pat Jennings' fan club

Really? Is Tyrone Mings
Champions League quality? Surely a reasonable mid table player….

Public Elneny
Public Elneny
30 days ago

I think he’s deeply underrated right now. Great pace, power and aerial ability. Solid touch and passing and has that Van Dijk-ish aura of calmness and control He’s way, way ahead of like Tarkowski, Michael Keane, Lascelles etc – midtable centre backs who would look lost if they didn’t play in such compact systems and actually had to play a bit of football More athletic than Maguire, far fewer brainfarts than Stones. I think he’ll be recognised as England’s best CB in a year or so Better sign him now than after his price tag doubles at the Euros next… Read more »

Public Elneny
Public Elneny
1 month ago

Huh, where did I say that Besides, clubs sign players above their current status all the time. The trick is to sign players who are not quite there yet, but will be given time in our set up. It comes down to thorough scouting. Signing established CL players like Umtiti isn’t normally effective for a club on our budget On the other hand, bringing in more Europa League standard squad players will just further entrench us there. There is no point unless we’re really short on numbers. I’d rather give academy players the opportunity than bloat the wage bill with… Read more »

Goonerink
Goonerink
Reply to  Public Elneny

Europa level teams sometimes snatch CL quality players. When they are injury prone, not the same after an Injury or some sort of off field issue.

Not saying that’s good but yeah it happens, and would be more likely given its debatable that we are a cl quality team.

Public Elneny
Public Elneny
30 days ago
Reply to  Goonerink

There are countless examples, a lot of brilliant but unestablished players would rather have a safe platform at a less prestigious club than take an early move to a giant where they’d have very limited opportunities to impress. Kante and Mahrez at Leicester, Mane and Van Dijk at Southampton, Griezmann at Sociedad etc etc etc. Just because a player hasn’t yet demonstrated to a wide audience they’re CL quality, doesn’t mean they aren’t. Keeping hold of them after they’ve become widely recognised is a different matter. But either way, we would benefit I didn’t mean we should aim to sign… Read more »

Rich
Rich
Reply to  OsloGooner

Smith-Rowe did this against Athletico.

He looks a brilliant young talent, and he’s been at the club since he was 9.

Willock has been at the club since he was 5, and hit this screamer against Liverpool.

I’d quite happily give these lads 12 months to grow, they’ve got Arsenal running through their veins

Jim2wheels
Jim2wheels
1 month ago

Wow, you guys are living in dreamland. No players will be sold because the clubs that will have any money to spend won’t be buying our rejects. Everyone else will be in survival mode for a couple of years.

Even after the lockdown, who’s going to commit to transfers when the risk of a second virus wave is so high?

I’m sure we’ll like stick to any commitments we’ve made already in terms of Saliba, I reckon the Mari deal will depend on the loan agreement.

OsloGooner
OsloGooner
Reply to  Jim2wheels

I still see players moving between clubs, Watford sign Pape Gueye yesterday..

To have a complete lockdown is probably the bestoutcome right now..

Rich
Rich
Reply to  Jim2wheels

At centre half we have Luiz, Holding, Chambers, Sokratis, Mustafi, Mavropanos, Saliba Signing Mari without moving any on would make it 8 centre half’s, and there’s certainly no guarantee we’ll get European football. It’s not quantity we lack, it’s quality and balance. We have a first team squad of 29, moving players on with our wage bill is going to be very difficult. Unless we think Mari is a clear upgrade? Or there’s clear advantages having an average left footed centre half, over an average right footed one? i see no logical argument to signing him, other than his agent… Read more »

Andy
Andy
1 month ago

As long as he doesn’t put them down during the actual game

Vonnie
Vonnie
1 month ago

I like him and hope we keep him. Probably Sokratis will leave and a couple out on loan, Saliba will need a bit of time to get up to speed in the Premier League, Chambers won’t be fit and Holding seems a long way from fit, so although we have numbers we could use a good left footed centreback.

Jungle
Jungle
1 month ago

Possibly the most heartfelt call to a club to signhim up that I haven’t heard in years. Pablo has clearly lots of time on his hands to think of his future and has gone in 100% for our club. So fair play to him. I hope he goes far because that’s the kind of mentality we need 🙂

Jungle
Jungle
1 month ago

Btw, I love fan forums when the fantatists are on. The people who still think we are ready to spend 50m are funny!

karl
karl
1 month ago

Up against what we have, he looks like a great option on the limited games I have seen him play. Looking forward to Saliba though.

Yaqub Mahmood
Yaqub Mahmood
28 days ago

I know how he feels. I couldn’t put Roots down either when I first read it.