According to The Times (£), Crystal Palace have stepped up their interest in Eddie Nketiah although their story is so vague it makes you question its veracity.
Things we know to be true:
- Eddie is out of contract at the end of June.
- Mikel Arteta says he wants to keep Eddie.
- Eddie can now sign a pre-contract agreement with a foreign club ahead of a free move in the summer.
- If Eddie chooses to join an English club next summer, Arsenal will be owed a fee for his development which will be decided by a tribunal.
- If Eddie leaves this month, Arsenal could command a fee although it’s likely to be pretty small.
- Eddie isn’t good at scoring headers from two yards out.
The report in The Times doesn’t explicitly state whether Palace’s talks with Nketiah are over a move this month or in the summer and the only figures mentioned reference a rebuffed approach in the summer.
The only way we can see the former being sanctioned is if Arsenal sign a replacement.
While there’s a lot of noise around our interest in Fiorentina’s Dusan Vlahovic some of the figures being bandied about (£300,000 / week wages 🙄) are a bit mad and most likely the work of his representatives and/or excitable staff writers at dodgy Italian publications.
Which is to say, we think it’s far more likely Nketiah hangs around for five months and we don’t buy a striker versus the more enticing scenario. But hey, we might be wrong…