Welbeck gets England nod

Danny Welbeck has been called up by England for their upcoming matches with Spain and Switzerland.

As was the case at the World Cup, Welbz is the only Gunner represented in Gareth Southgate’s squad.

He’ll be hoping to take advantage of Jamie Vardy’s international retirement to gain a few more minutes than he did in Russia. The striker featured for around 15 minutes of England’s run to the semi-finals.

The Three Lions will make their UEFA Nations League bow with a game against the Spanish at Wembley on Saturday 8 September. Three days later they take on Granit Xhaka and Stephan Lichtsteiner in a friendly at Leicester’s King Power Stadium.

We’re still not entirely sure what the hell the UEFA Nations League actually and we’re not sure we really care. From the outside it looks like a ridiculously complicated attempt to tart-up Interlulls…but as we all know Interlulls are untartupable. Because they are shite and boring.

Gareth Southgate’s England squad

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Dele (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (ex-Arsenal), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

Rich
Rich
1 year ago

His injuries are a concern, but I can see Welbz becoming a mainstay in the team as the season progresses.
Some prefer to talk about his deficiencies, but our biggest deficiency has been a lack of team cohesion, Welbeck is the perfect team player, and I think we always look much better when he’s in the starting 11.
If I had the option of Welbz or Ozil staring out wide? I would pick Welbeck every time.

Pedant
Pedant
Reply to  Rich

Ozil does have big eyes in my opinion, best for staring out wide, or anywhere for that matter. So I’d choose Ozil for staring.

Reply to  Pedant

I’d back Lichsteiner any day for a stare down

Berlingoon
Berlingoon
1 year ago

I’m glad we haven’t sold him, even if we’re letting him go for free next season. But I have big hopes that he will play a fantastic season, as I think Emery’s style of play fits him perfectly, and will hopefully extend his contract then. Really like that guy.

Reply to  Berlingoon

He has great attributes to bring to bear with pace, power and height.

If we sell him, we lose that height and power. Even though Aubameyang is close to similar height, he doesn’t have the same physicality Danny has.

C.B.
C.B.
1 year ago

If he is starting to finish as calmly as he did in the last match then he could be a great player. Coolness in front of goal has been his biggest weakness. .

Kwame Ampadu Down
Kwame Ampadu Down
Reply to  C.B.

Every time he scores a goal or two we hear this ‘oh, if he starts finishing he could be great’ argument. He won’t, surely we know that at this stage. We know it’s his biggest weakness, and it will remain so. Let’s just accept that & focus on what he does bring to the team instead. (which is quite a lot imo)

1 year ago

But there’s something to it.

He had tendency to rush things by a fraction.

Hopefully with his maturity now at 27yrs+ he will exhibit more composure.

Mc1892
Mc1892
1 year ago

Remember his champions league hat trick? Thought we were going to see an Arsene master stroke with his signing..

cygan'sbaldspot
cygan'sbaldspot
Reply to  C.B.

haha, this speaks to the low expectations of danny. I mean, he was like 2 feet from an open goal and managed to score with his FOOT and we call it “calm finishing”!

gooner1981
gooner1981
1 year ago

Would it be a bad thing to offer Welbz an extension? He is a solid player, fast, hard-working, and as much as his finishing can be hilarious, he does put a few away. Also, he is pretty good in the air.

Reply to  gooner1981

Not just yet.

Lets see how he continues.

A swallow does not a summer make.

Mpls
Mpls
Reply to  gooner1981

If nothing else we can keep him fit for Southgate’s squad.

NorthernGoon
NorthernGoon
1 year ago

Interesting that Rashford has been called up but not played hardly yet Walcott who’s playing well for all intents and purposes hasn’t.

Gutbukkit Deffrolla
Gutbukkit Deffrolla
Reply to  NorthernGoon

Do we actually care any more? I spent a large chunk of my life hoping Walcott would hit the heights consistently. Sadly never happened. He had two periods where he really worked hard, had a positive attitude, and started looking good, but he couldn’t keep himself up to that pace. He spent the rest of the time apparently comfortable to be going nowhere. I’ll be buggered if I can even remember who we sold him to now… he’s hardly been making headlines since he left. I’m quite happy if he fades away into old age without becoming an England stalwart… Read more »

1 year ago

Well the English core we have in the team at the moment – Holding (chambers), AMN, Welbeck.

Then there’s potentially Nelson, Smith Rowe, Nketiah.

Its come down to this.

ClockEndRider
ClockEndRider
1 year ago

Gump’s greatest talent was making facile platitudes to the press after games. If he could play as well as he produced vacuous nonsense he’d be England captain. Goodbye. Shut the door on your way out, Theo.

loose_cannon
loose_cannon
Reply to  NorthernGoon

I think there are three potential reasons for that. Firstly Southgate is probably trying to focus on the next generation and in particular the squad he took to the WC. Walcott aged 29 doesn’t qualify, no matter how good his form is. The second is that Southgate seems to have some beef with Walcott since the last time he dropped him. He was unhappy that he couldn’t replicate his Arsenal form for England, whereas Walcott was unhappy about being left out despite his great form at the time. Thirdly Walcott’s form for Everton is partly born out of being consistently… Read more »

Ditch the Blue
Ditch the Blue
1 year ago

Surprised you didn’t list them all as ‘some c**t’!

crapaud
crapaud
Reply to  Ditch the Blue

or 21 c**nts, 1 ex-Arsenal and the Welbz

Eternal Titi Berg Pat Nostalgia
Eternal Titi Berg Pat Nostalgia
Reply to  crapaud

Kane is successful and some Arsenal fans try hard to associate with him.
1. Bellerin (ex-Barcelona), I think Barcelona fans will have more problems with that than myself.
2. Auba (ex-Dortmund), I probably like it less that Dortmund fans.

Hantal
Hantal
1 year ago

I really like welbeck as a player and was pleased to see him get some minutes at the weekend but I don’t see how an England call up can be justified at the moment

Reply to  Hantal

Southgate probably just auditioning him to see what function he has for England.

Welbeck is a bit quicker than Kane and potentially the height with pace could be useful but really there’s no issue in trying out options over friendlies.

Rich
Rich
Reply to  Hantal

Arsenal could do with Welbz getting some minutes, hopefully England can sort that out for us.

loose_cannon
loose_cannon
Reply to  Hantal

Not sure why this is getting thumbs down, it’s true. If you’re not playing for your club you shouldn’t be playing for your country, or at least that’s what Southgate said before. Welbeck has hardly featured for us. Of course, that doesn’t explain why he’s taking Lallana and RLC over Wilshere…

Red Cannon
Red Cannon
Reply to  Hantal

Because England has no decent strikers other than Kane.

Jimbo Jones
Jimbo Jones
Reply to  Hantal

It’s because England are pretty shite. The have to pick the 3rd best striker at the 6th best team in the land

COYG1001
COYG1001
1 year ago

At some point I’d like us to start all three — Welbeck, Lacazette and Aubameyang.

They press, at least 2 of 3 track back well (and play nominally wide) and Welbeck is as good a defender as any of our midfield options.

Pair it with 1 true creative midfielder and our best two deeplying / quasi defensive midfielders, and any loss of conventional balance would be offset by a pressing, scoring hell for the other team! Added height/general physicality a huge bonus.

I’ll stand back and witness the abuse now.

Reply to  COYG1001

Its Welbeck or Lacazette up top for me.

Left side maybe Iwobi or Auba. Right side remains problematic with reliance on Bellerin bombing forward and Mhkitaryan good combining going forward but less so defensively. One potential maybe (in defensive circumstances) to deploy two Lbacks with Bellerin ahead of Lichsteiner much like how Wenger use to play GIbbs and Monreal together on the left to secure that flank better.

Welbeck-Laca-Auba may be a bit too unbalanced.

Billy Bob
Billy Bob
Reply to  COYG1001

No abuse from me, I actually like the idea, especially if there were three defenders and four midfielders

Billy Bob
Billy Bob
Reply to  COYG1001

Others might have a different view as to whether a 3-4-3 formation would work, but I think it could

loose_cannon
loose_cannon
Reply to  COYG1001

Not a bad idea in of itself but I doubt Emery will start all 3 of his senior CF options at the same time as part of a regular first 11.

1 year ago

Of the two players on the peripheral (Elneny and Welbeck…never mind the useless Jenkinson), I feel Welbeck has the most utility for us. He brings something different with his height and power. Personally I feel the two players who can develop to hold the ball for us up top are Lacazette and Welbeck. Laca has improved his ability to fend off and has been feeding the ball well acting as a node almost like what Giroud did for us. Welbeck can do the same with his height and power but must improve on his first touch. With everythingelse, there is… Read more »

Kwame Ampadu Down
Kwame Ampadu Down
Reply to  santori

Poor Jenks. Not so long ago he was one of the players you told us we should easily get 10m each for…and now without playing a minute he’s useless. Ospina, Akpom, Campbell, Jenks, Lucas….you need us to get 40m or so for Jenks so you better talk him up !!

Crash Fistfight
Crash Fistfight
1 year ago

Was it just me that had to Google Alex McCarthy?

Pat Rice Evra
Pat Rice Evra
1 year ago

Goodison Park, Ji Sung Park, Alex McCarthy Park it’s still rock “n” roll to me? Go on there Welbz never lets anyone down that lad unlike??? Fill in the gap{s} yourselves guys !!!

Dennis Elbow
Dennis Elbow
1 year ago

Harry Kane (ex Arsenal)??? Blogs, you are mad!

Dave Crawford
Dave Crawford
Reply to  Dennis Elbow

Oh yeah..like Raul (ex Atletico) hahaha. Who is the joke on. I only hope in future we can say Eddie ( ex Chelski)

loose_cannon
loose_cannon
1 year ago

I remember a time not to long ago when we could potentially get 4 or 5 names in bold every squad. The British core really died a death didn’t it?

PS Harry Kane (ex-Arsenal), love it haha

Eternal Titi Berg Pat Nostalgia
Eternal Titi Berg Pat Nostalgia
Reply to  loose_cannon

Not even one in the French squad either. Are we still a top team ?

Dave Crawford
Dave Crawford

No..we aren.t unfortunately

shokim
shokim
1 year ago

Hmm we’re a Europa League team now more like…

I AM ARSENAL
I AM ARSENAL
1 year ago

Can see That guy thriving under Emery .

OneBeatOff
OneBeatOff
1 year ago

Anything that can boost a player’s confidence is welcome. I’m happy for him.

Goonerink

‘ex-arsenal’

Getting funny looks from the other passengers after my burst of laughter, thanks blogs!