Nketiah set for loan deal as Leeds and Bristol City circle

According to David Ornstein, Eddie Nketiah will spend next season out on loan with Leeds United and Bristol City leading the chase for his signature.

The England under-21 international came close to going on loan in January to Bundesliga side Augsburg but had the opportunity vetoed by Unai Emery who wanted to retain the striker as back-up to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alex Lacazette.

Nketiah, who was promoted to Arsenal’s first team and given a new squad number this summer, impressed on the recent tour of the US with goals against Bayern Munich and Fiorentina but still hinted at a desire to garner more experience elsewhere.

Having initially asked the youngster to focus on Arsenal it now looks as though Emery will sanction the 20-year-old’s departure. A host of Championship sides, including Swansea City and Cardiff City, have expressed an interest.

It’s now up to loan manager Ben Knapper and the player’s representatives to decide where he might best fit.

Obviously, it leaves Arsenal a little light up front, particularly when you look ahead to the early rounds of the Europa League and League Cup, but with Tyreece John-Jules penning a new contract yesterday, perhaps we’re looking at the Academy to provide answers.

There’s also new boy Gabriel Martinelli who will be hoping to make an early impression.

Dex
Dex

It will be a good ideal if the Loan go through in order to gain more playing time and also to come back strong next season….coyg

HelderHughes
HelderHughes
Reply to  Dex

We still have no idea who this Ornstein character is.

Arsenala Vista Baby
Arsenala Vista Baby
Reply to  HelderHughes

Lol..not we obviously..

DB10s Air Miles
DB10s Air Miles
Reply to  HelderHughes

I heard he works for Trump!

Cultured Determination
Cultured Determination
Reply to  HelderHughes

can he play CB?

Double98
Double98

Once Eddie gets going he will be prolific. I’m thinking his ceiling is Ian Wright territory.
A loan move will be great but with a recall clause in case.

Eternal Titi Berg Pat Nostalgia
Eternal Titi Berg Pat Nostalgia
Reply to  Dex

Absolutely not! The manager opposed sending him on loan last year now wants him on loan after one year of development. This kind of things destroys players confidence. Next year, he will want to sell him, I suppose.

Vonnie
Vonnie

The manager who opposed sending him on loan last season but didn’t play him. I don’t think this has anything to do with what Emery wishes, but will be decided by the player and the new transition team, to work out what is best for his development. Warming the bench isn’t going to do him any good.

Red-Sky
Red-Sky

yeah post the less important first 🙂

He should go to loan. He’s path is blocked currently and it wouldn’t be fair to hold him down as a backup while he needs game time to develop.

Olu
Olu

Makes sense, very good player, always to eager to impress. The loan will do him a world of good.

Martin Harris
Martin Harris

I can’t help but think we will end up regretting this!

Mintoes
Mintoes
Reply to  Martin Harris

Think I would have kept him in the first team squad too…play him in every cup game and Europa league game and have him on the bench for league games. Such a promising talent.

Goonerink

From what I’ve seen martinelli will be the more usefull

North London is Redder
North London is Redder
Reply to  Goonerink

I’ve been really impressed moth Martinelli this preseason as well. Hopeful he can get a few goals this season and crack on. He’s got the look of something special about him.

Anonymarse
Anonymarse

He looks like he has some way to go but there is some flair / class in his play

Dex
Dex

Competiting with the like of Auba and laca will not do him good. Going out on loan will improve him and then he can start playing with the bigger Boys

Ya gooner
Ya gooner

Would have liked to see him stay here, but a loan os probanly for the best as we now have pepe, martelleni, saka and nelson to play on the wings

LEFT08
LEFT08

No takers for Mustafi. Shocking.

canon fodder
canon fodder
Reply to  LEFT08

We can’t keep denigrating and booing our player and then think that another club will take him off our hands. Mustafi will not get any better if we keep blaming him for everything wrong with our defence. We did that with Eboue and that shattered his confidence; he was never the same after that.

Dom47
Dom47
Reply to  canon fodder

Ok, maybe booing is not necessary, but his time at the club must be up. He had so many opportunities, now is the time to tell him that he will not play if he stays, relationship is beyond repair IMO.

Gervinho
Gervinho

Nketia is better off with regular play time rather competing with Pepe, Lacazette, Auba and Nelson on top.

Auba and Lazacette are just on a different level… and hopefully Pepe too.

Richie
Reply to  Gervinho

Can Pepe play as a striker?

North London is Redder
North London is Redder
Reply to  Richie

He can and initially at Lille under Bielsa he did. He wasn’t great but then neither were the whole team weren’t great at that time and he’s since developed. So he can really play anywhere across the front three best from the right.

Richie

Sounds good; I would like to see us in a fixed 4-3-3 this season.

Anonymarse
Anonymarse
Reply to  Richie

Maybe we should just flood the pitch with forwards to compensate for our lack of competent defenders

Gervinho
Gervinho
Reply to  Richie

Neither Messi or Robben are strikers in that sense, but that never stopped them from scoring shit loads of goals

Mentally Drained Gooner
Mentally Drained Gooner

If I were Eddie I would be tempted to play under Biesla.

SB Still
SB Still

Yes, that would be a great choice.

I hope there is a recall clause, don’t want to tempt the injury gods!

Richie

I like Bielsa but I wouldn’t want to see one of our players on loan at Leeds; a few bad games and Elland Road becomes a hostile crowd, especially for a young player who is only there on loan.

SheffieldGooner
SheffieldGooner
Reply to  Richie

Can’t think of a better place to prepare for Emirates Stadium then.

henry
henry

How much $$ coming in? none I assume.

Ant
Ant
Reply to  henry

Why would you assume that? Of course there will be a small fee.

Okechukwu Jude
Okechukwu Jude

I don’t exactly like this. This guy has come of age. If either of Auba or Laca have na injury, we are suddenly short of a centre forward. I know he needs to develop but I can see him realistically pushing for a place in the team. I also fear because our loaning system at Arsenal almost seems like an eventual goodbye. Wojech, Ospina, Gnabry,Belik etc

The Spoon
The Spoon

I’d rather he went to another Premier league side or Germany, personally think it’d be more beneficial. Championship is a very different league and we’ve seen many strikers do well in that but couldn’t hit a barn door in the Premiership.

Anonymarse
Anonymarse
Reply to  The Spoon

Leeds do seem to be playing the right kind of game under Bielsa though

My Cousin Vinai
My Cousin Vinai

I have a sneaking suspicion that Eddie requested for this knowing he won’t get much play time, and all Emery’s talk of the Europa will be used for the kids, I bet will largely be full of senior players like Mikhi and Mustafi, to keep their match sharpness, and outside of the likes of Willock and Nelson, maybe even Martinelli, the rest won’t get a look in.

My Cousin Vinai
My Cousin Vinai

I think Eddie going on loan is also evidence that any idea that Emery will field all three of Pepe, Lacca and Auba isn’t gonna happen.

My Cousin Vinai
My Cousin Vinai

I mean field all 3 at the same time. Some have got into the idea that he will field a forward 3 of all 3 players, but if Eddie is going on loan, that makes no sense as that’s all our forward playing at the same time.

Cultured Determination
Cultured Determination

“perhaps we’re looking at the Academy to provide answers.” Eddie IS the answer from our academy. how about we loan John-Jules out instead?

Dom47
Dom47

Exactly. TJJ should be below Eddie in the pecking order, now is his turn to get some chances. I’d use Auba as LW, Laca as CF and Pepe as RW, then have Nelson as LW, Eddie as CF and Saka or Martinelli on the right wing as a second option to rotate.

Mikhi should be sold for whatever, too slow for the wing, Iwobi as well.

yura910721
yura910721

Eddie needs to play regularly, otherwise he is not gonna make it to the next level.

Monkey Joe
Monkey Joe

Why not sell him for £5 mill? #EmeryOut

DBMÖ10
DBMÖ10

If he goes , hope it’s to Leeds.
Marcelo Bielsa is an extraordinary coach.
Will train Eddie in to more mature , tactically astute striker.

Wilsheres Middle Finger
Wilsheres Middle Finger
Reply to  DBMÖ10

Bielsa will have him sat in hedges spying on the opposition!

Nzini
Nzini

Lol good one.i can literally see the kid doing that in my head.

lordgunner
lordgunner
Reply to  DBMÖ10

Bielsa is the most overrated coach i ever seen, maybe a good teacher/talker for other coach,
but him been the actual head coach rarely bring result , he has one good season in europe with marseille finishing 2nd, the rest of the time he has been sack or he walk away when thing dont go his way
he probably find his level in the championship

Kingsley
Kingsley

Seems a bit risky, what with us only having 2 proper strikers. Could do him good though. Worked for Reiss last season.

At the moment, with the options we have in attack, Eddie would end up not even making the bench for most weeks, so let’s hope he comes back ready for the 1st team. Would rather he goes overseas though.

Gamzini
Gamzini

Sorry to go off topic – L’Equipe (via the BBC) claim Coutinho is happening

Lord Bendnter
Lord Bendnter

I think this would be a bad decision. I want Eddie as our back up striker. I think he has it in him to fill that role this season

Andrew
Andrew

Please insert a clause that says he can be brought back from his loan when the annual injury crisis hits…

Hope he doesn’t become the new Akpom.

On the plus side, if he goes out on loan, he can still score a heap of goals and turn heads.

As far as we are concern, I think John-Jules can fill a potential spot but may be a season too soon. BUT the lad has better physical attributes in height and size than Nketiah.

Hope to see Nelson kept in first squad along with Willock.

Also people have conveniently forgotten Smith-Rowe.

I’d like to see him step up this season (he is 19yrs). We should try and move Mhkitaryan on and make space for ESR,with Ozil and Ceballos in the AM role. Ceballos of course also to cover deep midfield.

yura910721
yura910721

Leeds sounds fantastic for Eddie. To learn his craft under psycho like Bielsa might be beneficial.