In the first of what we suspect will be a very half-arsed ‘series’ that keeps one eye on the Copa America, we bring you news of a win for Alexis Sanchez’s Chile.
Our striker’s home country is hosting the 44th edition of the CONMEBOL competition with 12 teams set to battle it out in nine different locations.
It all kicked-off last night with Chile beating Ecuador 2-0 in Santiago. Arturo Vidal, fresh from being shite for Juventus in the Champions League final, opened the scoring from the spot on 66 minutes before Eduardo Vargas sealed the win late on. The hosts were then reduced to ten men when Matias Fernandez was sent off for a second yellow with two minutes left.
Alexis played the full 90 minutes cheered on by his two dogs, Atom and Humber, who watched from a special kennel on the touchline.
They particularly enjoyed this dribble.
GROUP A – Chile / Mexico / Bolivia / Ecuador
GROUP B – Argentina / Uruguay / Paraguay / Jamaic
GROUP C – Brazil / Colombia / Peru / Venezuela
Upcoming ‘Arsenal’ fixtures
14 June – Colombia vs Venezuela
15 June – Chile vs Mexico
17 June – Brazil vs Colombia
19 June – Chile vs Bolivia
21 June – Colombia vs Peru
Arsenal Copa America Factoids…you’ll never believe No.5!
1. Only four Arsenal players have featured in the Copa America prior to this tournament.
– Nelson Vivas for Argentina in Paraguay, 1999
– Edu for Brazil in Peru, 2004
– Gilberto Silva & Julio Baptista for Brazil in Venezuela, 2007
2. Edu scored his spot-kick as Brazil beat Argentina on penalties to lift the trophy in 2004.
3. Gilberto captained Brazil to victory in 2007. On returning home he learned that he’d missed out on the Arsenal captaincy to William Gallas. What the f*ck Arsene? Seriously.
4. Julio Baptista scored three times in the 2007 competition, including in the 3-0 win over Argentina in the final. None of the goals were overhead kicks.
5. In 1999 Nelson Vivas was sent off for a two-footed tackle on a pitch invading chicken that had been let loose by Uruguay fans. As his team strolled to a 2-0 win, Nelson roasted the offending bird and served it to his teammates at full-time as an apology. It was apparently delicious.