Ivan Gazidis met with fans at the pre-arranged fans forum at the Emirates today, and denied that Arsenal as a club are ‘going backwards’.
The mood was described as generally good but ‘heated’ at points, and from our pal Sam (@the_cannon), come some of the bullet points from the chief executive.
- Loaning players isn’t always why you read it is. It can be because we still rate the player or think his value could increase. Wenger likes Perez.
- Good comparison on RvP vs. Alexis sell/keep situations. The fans will be upset either way! Alexis was a football decision over finance.
- Lots of changes st the club, just because no new manager doesn’t mean no change. Darren Burgess from Adelaide (fitness), Jens Lehmann added to first team coaching staff, Per Mertesacker’s academy move.
- Dick Law – as reported – is going back to USA to spend time with family so there will be a contract team restructure.
- Stat DNA isn’t just for new signings, used for contract decisions, fitness and opponents (60 page document on Bournemouth for today)
- “We want to win the Europa League, it could be a great piece of glory for the club”. However there will be more rotation vs the Champions League, and chance for youth players to impress.
Gazidis said he wished he could speak to fans completely openly over a beer about the club but obviously he can’t. He stayed for an hour after the meeting talking more candidly with a few that stayed behind.